Toby Stark

About Toby Stark

This author has not yet filled in any details.
So far Toby Stark has created 142 blog entries.

Making Choices: What Medicare option is right for you?

When you’re approaching age 65, the array of Medicare options available to you can sometimes feel overwhelming. First, should you stay on your employer plan if you’re still working? If you choose to go on Medicare, should you opt for Original Medicare or a Medicare Advantage plan? And from there, […]

By |May 31st, 2024|Categories: All|

Do I have enough work credits to qualify for Medicare Part A?

Over the course of your working life, you have paid into Medicare through payroll taxes. In fact,
both you and your employer have contributed in this way. The current rate most people pay for
Medicare is 1.45% for the employer and 1.45% for the employee, for a total of 2.9%, as of […]

By |May 16th, 2024|Categories: All|

What is Medicare?

Medicare is a federal health insurance program for people who are 65 or older. It is also available to certain younger people with disabilities, and people with end-stage renal disease.


Medicare is comprised of several parts. Medicare Part A provides inpatient/hospital coverage. Part A is […]

By |April 25th, 2024|Categories: All|

Medicare eligibility FAQ

Do I automatically get Medicare when I turn 65?

Yes and no. While enrollment in Medicare Part A (hospital insurance) is automatic for most people when they turn 65, enrollment in Part B (medical insurance) requires you to take action. If you are already receiving Social Security benefits when […]

By |March 21st, 2024|Categories: All|

Social Security and Medicare Eligibility

Can you collect Social Security without Medicare?

Yes, it is possible to collect Social Security benefits without enrolling in Medicare. You can start collecting Social Security benefits as early as age 62, but the amount you receive will be reduced compared to what you would receive if you waited until your […]

By |March 14th, 2024|Categories: All|

What are the enrollment periods for Medicare?

Most people get Medicare Part A and Part B when first eligible (usually when turning 65). Generally, there are risks to signing up later, like a gap in your coverage or having to pay a penalty. However, in some cases, it might make sense to sign up later.

Initial Enrollment Period, […]

By |February 21st, 2024|Categories: All|

Is Medicare free after age 65?

Medicare Part A, which covers hospital insurance, is typically premium-free for most people at age 65 if they or their spouse have worked and paid Medicare taxes for at least 10 years. However, Medicare Part B, which covers medical insurance, does have a monthly premium. Additional coverage options, like Part […]

By |February 15th, 2024|Categories: All|

Pharmaceutical Assistance to the Aged & Disabled (PAAD)

New Jersey’s Pharmaceutical Assistance to the Aged and Disabled (PAAD) program is a state-funded program that helps eligible older adults and individuals with disabilities save money on their prescription drug costs.

The PAAD co-payment will be $5 for each PAAD covered generic drug prescription and $7 for […]

By |December 20th, 2023|Categories: All|

Buyer Beware: The Pitfalls of Medicare Advantage

Despite a barrage of marketing touting little to no-cost health insurance plans, many Medicare Advantage plans have hidden costs and restrictions that ultimately result in less value and more stress for the healthcare consumer. 

This article by USA Today highlights two recent […]

By |December 13th, 2023|Categories: All|
Go to Top