Types of group vision insurance plans
Vision insurance plans are designed to provide routine preventive care, such as eye exams, eyewear and other vision services at a reduced rate. This benefit is typically offered in one of two forms for employees:
- Vision benefits package
Employees pay an annual premium or membership fee. Typically includes a yearly deductible for each member or copayment for services rendered.
- Discount vision plan
Vision care services are available at a reduced, fixed rate. Requires employee members to pay an annual premium, or membership fee and deductible.
Employees typically pay for vision insurance coverage through a payroll deduction. Plan design options generally include the following:
- Annual or biannual eye exams (including dilation) covered in full.
- Eyeglass frames and lenses (glass or plastic; single vision; lined bifocal and lined trifocal). Amount covered depends on the plan. Additional pairs along with scratch-resistant coating are also design options.
- Contact lens services. Amount covered and whether lenses are included depends on the plan.
- Plan design value-added benefits may include a primary eye care program, laser vision care program and a low vision program.
- Laser vision care programs generally include coverage levels for a complimentary screening, pre-operative exam, surgery, post-operative exams and enhancement follow-up surgery.
- Other design options include computer vision care and safety plans that provide members with prescription eyewear that is in compliance with ANSI and OSHA safety guidelines. Common exclusions include replacement of lenses, frames or contacts, medical or surgical treatment, orthotics, vision training, experimental vision services, treatments and materials.
In addition to these services, employees may take advantage of online tools with access to local eye doctors, ways to manage eye pain and information concerning how vision health affects the entire body.
Not sure? Have questions?
We understand it can be overwhelming. That’s why we’re here to help. Simply call us at (732) 747-0411, or send us an email using the contact form on this page. We’ll gladly tell you about group vision insurance plans and coverage that can help keep your employees happy and motivated.